Kovrizhina Yana Stanislavovna, Postgraduate student, State Pedagogical University of Russia named after A. I. Herzen (48 Moika river embankment, Saint Petersburg, Russia), email@example.com
Background. In recent decades Russian and foreign specialists in literature studies have shown a significant interest in the analysis of intermedial interactions in fiction. A great number of controversial theoretic questions still remain unresolved. The aim of our investigation is to study the phenomenon of art interactions in modernist literature, to single out certain types of intermedial interactions and to analyze several examples of such found in the short stories written by Virginia Woolf, an English writer and ideological leader of modernism.
Materials and methods. This article dwells upon intermedial interactions at a level of form, that is adoption of peculiar properties of genre and composition as well as means of artistic expression of other arts, such as music, painting, cinema and theatre, found in Virginia Woolf’s short stories («An Unwritten Novel», «A Haunted House», «The Searchlight », «Monday or Tuesday»).
Conclusions. In order to put into practice her artistic method and achieve her objectives that were to recreate human’s inner world, peculiarities of consciousness, process of thinking, functioning of memory as well as to reflect human’s complex perception of the outworld, Virginia Woolf carried out trailblazing experiments with form, technique and artistical devices, tried possibilities of intermedial interactions means of which became an important trait of her artistic method.
interaction of arts, intermediality, intertextuality, modernism, semiosphere, Virginia Woolf.
1. Lotman Yu. M. Semiosfera [Semiosphere]. Saint Petersburg: Iskusstvo, 2010, 704 p.
2. Sedykh E. V. Problema sinteza iskusstv v teorii i istorii literatury i iskusstva: monogr. [Problem of art synthesis in the theory and history of literature and arts: monograph]. Saint Petersburg: Znanie, 2010, 232 p.
3. Tishunina N. V. Metodologiya gumanitarnogo znaniya v perspektive XXI veka: materialy Mezhdunar. nauch. konf. [Methodology of humanitarian knowledge in perspective of XXI century: proceedings of the International scientific conference]. Saint Petersburg: Izd-vo Sankt-Peterburgskogo filosofskogo obshchestva, 2001.
4. Childs P. Modernism. New York: Taylor & Francis Group, 2007, 236 p.
5. Dudova L. V., Mikhal'skaya N. P. Modernizm v zarubezhnoy literature: ucheb. Posobie [Modernism in foreign literature: tutorial]. Moscow: Flinta: Nauka, 2004, 240 p.
6. Zverev A. M. Khudozhestvennye orientiry zarubezhnoy literatury 20 veka: sb. st. [Artistic guidelines in foreign literature of XX century: collected papers]. Moscow: IMLI RAN, 2002, pp. 6–46.
7. Kabanova I. V. Zarubezhnaya literatura XX veka: prakticheskie zanyatiya: ucheb. posobie [Foreign literature of XX century: practical studies: tutorial]. Moscow: Flinta: Nauka, 2009, 472 p.
8. Balashova T. V. Khudozhestvennye orientiry zarubezhnoy literatury 20 veka: sb. st. [Artistic guidelines in foreign literature of XX century: collected papers]. Moscow: IMLI RAN, 2002, pp. 158–192.
9. Vulf V. Dnevniki pisatel'nitsy [Writer’s diaries]. Moscow: Tsentr knigi VGBIL im. M. I. Rudomino, 2009, 480 p.
10. Crapoulet E. Journal of the Short Story in English. 2008, no. 50.
11. Zverev A. M. Khudozhestvennye orientiry zarubezhnoy literatury 20 veka: sb. st. [Artistic guidelines in foreign literature of XX century: collected papers]. Moscow: IMLI RAN, 2002, pp. 507–522.
12. Tishunina N. V. V diapazone gumanitarnogo znaniya: sb. k 80-letiyu professora M. S. Kagana [In the range of liberal knowledge: collection commemorating the 80th jubilee of professor M. S. Kagan]. Saint Petersburg: Sankt-Peterburgskoe filosofskoe obshchestvo, 2001.
13. Vulf V. Izbrannoe [The selected works]. Moscow: Khudozhestvennaya literatura, 1989, 558 p.
14. Louvel L. Journal of the Short Story in English. 2008, no. 50.
15. Garrington A. Journal of the Short Story in English. 2008, no. 50.